Tuesday, September 28, 2010

a gift for the president :)

i am babysitting a boiling can of condensed milk. for three hours. that's how long it takes to turn into rich thick decadent caramel!!!! yes, i'm still on the diet.... but it doesn't mean i'm not making the caramel :)

thanks to that show 'come dine with me' (my latest guilty pleasure) i intend to make a banoffee pie tomorrow. the can of former condensed milk, turned rich thick caramel MUST BE ALLOWED TO COOL before sampling - i once burnt off my entire tasting finger whilst making a batch of fudge... so i have learned my lesson, when it says "allow to cool", i now begrudgingly do so :)

i am also going to make some chocolate covered caramels which i will decorate with sparkly rocks of salt, to send to my beloved President Obama. i know they are his favorite! and i like him so very much, i just want him to have a token of my esteem :) i will also include a picture of my children eating one of the caramels (sans salt) to prove they are not poisoned. i am sure he gets all kind of crackpots sending him candy

the can is hissing. it doesn't say anything online about what to do if the can starts hissing :[ it does, however, refer to boiled condensed milk as 'danger pudding' because if the water level doesn't always cover the can, it could explode causing loss of eyes and a big hole in the ceiling :[ note to self: don't become engrossed in Dr Phil's housewives/fall asleep before 8pm :)

back tomorrow with tales of my pie and candy making adventure xoxoxo

3 comments:

  1. Tarnya5:06 AM

    Umm, you know you can buy cans of condensed milk already boiled, right? Or at least you can here, so I sure you can get it there as well.
    When I was a kid they didn't have the ready boiled stuff, so we had to do it ourselves. TIP: Boil a couple of cans at once. You can keep the spares tucked away at the back of the fridge, then hey presto pronto - caramel when you need it and no watching and waiting. You're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are cooking it in the can? oh my....sounds like a science project. Can't wait to hear how it turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I want caramel and salt covered chocolates. :)

    ReplyDelete