Thursday, October 23, 2008

a english woman in new york

so it's 17 years to the day since my first trip to the united states of america. thinking back, these were the things that stood out as dramatically different on that very first day of american life:

firstly... the insane 1-94 form! you had to use black ink ONLY and stay within the lines never going outside the lines (a big deal on a turbulent flight) and you were expected to know whether you were British or English (I still am not sure which answer is right...) or from the UK or GB or United Kingdom... no mistakes or you had to start over....

oh yeah, next thing.... American immigration officers do NOT have a good sense of humor ;)

public toilets are weird here! you can totally see the person inside from the line if you move your head left to right and squint.... and they are made by "hiny hiders" even though they don't hide your hiny at all :(

next observation: there are a LOT of commercials on american TV. like the opening titles roll and go straight to commercials?? no 10 minutes build-up to need to pee or get thirsty...? then 2 minutes of show and more commercials. and MORE. and the same commercial twice in the same break... thank you DVR inventor for saving me!!!

umm... mailboxes look like trashcans.... sooooo sorry for the early confusion USPS :)

when americans say something is supersized they mean it.... holy crap do they mean it....

oh and all american chocolate tastes like ex-lax..... but i kinda like it :)

3 comments:

  1. Great insight into American life from a Brit, Englishwoman...Oh whatever!

    I can only imagine what you put in the postbox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An American Woman in England says, "Oh can't we share some funny stories though?!?!?!".


    WHY IS THERE NO ICE HERE???????? Do you know, that I drove TWENTY MILES to get some ice and when I got there, there were only 5 bags, and OMG they are like large ziploc bags for £1 each????? Yikes!! I spent $20 on 70 cubes of ice! haha
    Note to self, only have bbq's in December so you can just sit the beer on the patio.

    I'm shunned from society until I own a good collection of wellies.

    Why is the potty flusher on the wall and not ON the potty? I did not see it at first, and thought it was just an auto flusher, can you imagine me jumping up and down in the stall trying to get it to flush? Luckily Kade is smarter than me already and flushed it for me.

    Hehehehehehe.

    I am often reminded that you are called BRITISH. Apparently, we're ALL English b/c we (supposedly) speak the same language. However, a Welshmen(man?) will correct you quickly if you call him anything but. I think they just like to keep me confused.

    :)
    Happy American Anniversary Carol!!!!
    :) :)
    Hey we just hit our 3 full months here a couple of days ago! hehe!
    Still loving it!!!!
    (MAN it is COLD out though!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I was laughing so hard. I am myself am from Germany and was thinking the same things... especially the public restrooms! That is just weird to me!

    ReplyDelete